Even die-hand meat-eaters will find this flavourful combination irresistible.
1. Preheat oven to 175°C.
2. Peel the garlic cloves.
3. Peel and slice the onions.
4. Peel and cut beets into coarse pieces.
5. Place garlic, onions, beets, tahini and oil into a mixer and blend into a smooth puree.
6. Drain the chickpeas. Rinse well in colander. Add the chickpeas to the mixer and blend into a mushy pulp.
7. Pour into a bowl. Grate in the zest from the lemon. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into the bowl. Add spices and salt to taste.
8. Cover a baking tray with parchment paper. Shape mixture into burgers and place on the tray.
9. Bake the burgers for 20 minutes.
10. Brush with extra oil and place in a grill pan or on the barbecue to get an extra smoked touch.
Creamy Cashew-mustard dressing
1. Drain and rinse the cashews. Add them to the mixer with fresh water, vinegar and salt. Blend the mixture until it becomes smooth but with fine grain.
2. Add the oil while running the mixer until the dressing reaches a mayonnaise-like consistency.
3. Season with mustard, salt and vinegar.
Cut the bread roll in half lengthwise and sear with a gas burner. Arrange the lettuce leaves on the bottom bun, add pickles and place the patty on top. Spoon the dressing over the patty and place the remaining bun on top. Arrange the chips in a garnish bowl or basket and serve with extra dressing on the side.